This is a tall, moist cake, lightly spiced with cinnamon, nutmeg and mixed spice. The white Easter cake with chocolate eggs is all you need.
|For the cake||For the ganache|
|1 cup butter||Pinch nutmeg||1 cup cream|
|2 cups brown sugar||Zest of 1 lemon||500 g white chocolate, chopped|
|1 tsp vanilla||1 cup buttermilk||White chocolate eggs|
|4 eggs||White edible flowers|
|3 cups flour||For the icing||Eucalyptus leaves|
|1 tsp mixed spice||125 g butter|
|1 tsp cinnamon||1 kg icing sugar|
|Pinch bicarbonate of soda||1 tbsp vanilla extract|
|Pinch baking powder||125 g cream cheese|
For the cake
1. Preheat oven to 180°C.
2. Cream butter, sugar and vanilla until pale and fluffy.
3. Beat eggs in one at a time, until well combined.
4. Sift together dry ingredients.
5. Fold in the flour mixture and buttermilk, alternating between the two until batter is thick and smooth.
6. Grease two 15 cm cake tins and fill with the cake batter.
7. Bake for 40 minutes. Allow cakes to cool on wire rack.
For the icing
1. Heat butter until extremely soft (just before melting).
2. Cream butter, 1 cup of icing sugar and vanilla until light and creamy.
3. Add cream cheese and the rest of the icing sugar alternately.
4. Whisk the buttercream for 5 minutes, until the icing is fluffy.
For the ganache
1. Scald the cream in a pot until bubbles form around the edges of the pan. Place the chopped chocolate in the hot cream. Allow to stand before stirring until smooth. Let cool before pouring into a piping bag.
2. Ice cake with buttercream. Pipe on ganache so it drips down. Top with eggs, flowers and eucalyptus leaves.