This open berry pie is loaded with berries and made with store bought bread dough is a twist on the traditional pie.
|¼ cup icing sugar, sifted||1 cup blueberries|
|250g bread dough||1 egg, whisked|
|1 cup brown sugar|
|¼ cup desiccated coconut|
|¼ cup butter, softened|
|1 tsp vanilla essence|
|1 cup strawberries, sliced|
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Sprinkle half the icing sugar over a piece of baking paper, and then roll out the dough into a 20cm circle about 1/2 cm thick.
- Mix half the sugar, the coconut, butter and vanilla to form a paste.
- Spread the coconut paste over the dough paste, leaving a 4 cm border.
- Still leaving the border clear, arrange the strawberries in a circle and scatter the blueberries in the center of the dough.
- Fold over the edges of the dough, overlapping one piece over the other. Press lightly to seal in the filling.
- Brush the dough with whisked egg and sprinkle the remaining brown sugar on top.
- Bake for 20 minutes until the fruit is bubbling and the dough is golden.
- Dust with icing sugar.
You can use frozen berries for this recipe- they are often cheaper than fresh ones.
For more delicious recipes, click here.