A good pie is such a comforting classic. Store-bought phyllo pastry works well for this spinach and cheese phyllo pie.
|For the filling||For the pie|
|1 onion, finely chopped||1 tsp dried origanum||¼ cup butter, melted|
|2 cloves garlic, grated||Zest of 1 lemon||250 g phyllo pastry, thawed|
|4 tbsp oil||2 eggs (1 yolk only)|
|300 g baby spinach, roughly chopped||Handful origanum, finely chopped|
|200 g feta, crumbled||Handful basil, finely chopped|
|1 cup mozzarella||4 tbsp grated Parmesan|
For the filling
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
2. Fry the onion and garlic in the oil until golden.
3. Add spinach and fry for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat to cool.
4. Mix in the rest of the ingredients and season to taste.
For the pie
1. Using a pastry brush, grease a baking tin with butter.
2. Remove phyllo from packaging and cover with a damp tea towel.
3. Working quickly, brush butter on 1 phyllo sheet and press into baking tin; allowing it to hang over the edge.
4. Repeat until you have 10 layers.
5. Spoon the spinach mixture into the phyllo-draped tin.
6. Fold the overhanging phyllo to the middle and fold slightly inwards to create, so the filling is visible.
7. Bake for 30 minutes until phyllo is golden and super crisp.
8. Allow to cool for 10 minutes before removing from the tin to serve.