Clear out your kitchen with these simple, delicious recipes.
TOMATO CHILLI JAM WITH CUMIN FLATBREAD
For the jam:
¼ cup cooking oil
1 onion, finely chopped
4 red chillies, chopped
1 clove garlic, grated
1 tsp grated ginger
¼ cup brown sugar
¼ cup vinegar
500 g rosa/romanita tomatoes, halved
Zest of 1 lemon
For the flatbread:
1 cup bread flour, sifted
1 tsp salt
2 tbsp cumin seeds, toasted
4 tbsp olive oil
100 ml water
For the chilli jam
1. Heat oil in a pot and add the onions. Allow the onions to cook on a low heat until soft, then add chillies, garlic and ginger. Cook for a further 3 minutes.
2. Add the sugar and vinegar and allow the onions to caramelise for 5 minutes.
3. Add the tomatoes and lemon zest and allow to cook to a jam-like consistency for 20 minutes.
For the cumin flatbread
1. Add the dry ingredients into a bowl. Make a well in the centre and add the wet ingredients. Combine to form a smooth dough and allow to rest for 10 minutes.
2. Once rested, portion the dough into 4 balls and roll out to 1 cm thick on a floured surface.
3. Cook flatbreads in a non-stick pan greased with oil for 5 minutes on each side.
2 tins peaches, syrup reserved
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 roll puff pastry, thawed
1 egg, whisked, to brush
1 cup plain yoghurt
Extra honey, to drizzle
For the pies
1. Preheat the oven to 200 °C and line a baking tray.
2. Chop peaches and mix in cinnamon.
3. On a floured surface, cut puff pastry into 8 cm × 8 cm squares.
4. Add a spoonful of peach filling to centre of each pastry square.
5. Brush edges with egg wash, top with another pastry square and crimp the edges with a fork to seal.
6. Pierce the centre of each pie with a fork to allow steam to escape while baking. Brush with egg wash and bake for 20 minutes, until golden.
7. Serve with yoghurt and honey.