Woke up hungry? Or just smashed a killer AM session and need some fuel for those muscles? These easy breakfast meals are loaded with all the right things.
SWISS CHARD OVER FRITATTA
|2 tbsp olive oil|
|1/4 cup milk|
|1/2 tsp sugar|
|1/4 tsp baking powder|
|1/4 tsp paprika|
|1 cup Swiss chard. chopped|
|1/4 cup feta, crumbled|
1. Preheat oven to 180°C
2. Rub the olive oil in a cast iron pan and place in oven for 10 minutes.
3. In a bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, salt, baking powder and paprika.
4. Fold in the Swiss chard and add to pan.
5. Scatter with feta and season to taste.
6. Bake for 15 minutes, until the egg is set and slightly puffed.
7. To serve, allow the frittata to cool slightly before sliding it on to a board and slicing into wedges.
1 188 kJ energy, 18.6 g protein, 22.5 g fat, 2.7 g total carbs (2.2 g sugar), 0.2 g fibre, 607 mg sodium
AVO MAYO LOADED SANDWICH
|For the avo mayo||To serve|
|2 avos||1 loaf sourdough rye bread|
|1 lemon, zested and juiced||1 ball mozzarella|
|1 egg yolk||1 cucumber, sliced|
|1 Golden Delicious apple, sliced|
1. For the avo mayo, blend all ingredients until smooth, and season to taste.
2. Cut the bread into 8 slices.
3. Smear the avo mayo on each slice.
4. Top with the mozzarella, cucumber, and apple. Finish off with the sprouts.
5. Wrap in wax-proof paper and then cut in half.
1 151 kJ energy, 8.5 g protein, 19.5 g fat, 22 g total carbs (8.2 g sugar), 8.9 g fibre, 18 mg sodium
ZESTY RASPBERRY BLENDER PANCAKES
|8 eggs||4 tbsp honey|
|3 cups oat bran|
|1/2 cup yoghurt|
|4 tbsp yoghurt|
|1 tsp baking powder|
|1 orange, zested and juiced|
|1 lemon, zested|
|1/4 tsp baking soda|
1. Blend all the ingredients except the orange zest.
2. Heat a non-stick pan to a medium-low heat and fry 1 tbsp of the pancake mix on each side, 1 minute.
3. To serve, drizzle with honey and orange zest.
1 816 kJ energy, 25.7 g protein, 14.2 g fat, 80.2 g total carbs (31.7 g sugar), 12.5 g fibre, 229 mg sodium
ROASTED APPLE YOGHURT WITH OAT CRUMBLE
|For the apples||For the oat crumble|
|4 Golden Delicious apples, halved and cored||1 cup oats|
|4 cups water||1/4 cup coconut flakes|
|1 tsp cinnamon||4 tbsp almond butter|
|1 tsp vanilla||6 tbsp honey|
For the apple
1. Preheat oven to 180°C.
2. Add the apples, water, cinnamon and vanilla to a baking tray.
For the oat crumble
1. Mix all ingredients together and lay on a lined baking tray.
2. Bake the apples and oat crumble at the same time. Bake the apples for 1 hour, until the liquid has reduced and apples are soft. Bake the crumble until golden, about 10 minutes.
3. To serve, put double-cream yogurt in a bowl and top with apples and the crumble.
1 711 kJ energy, 7 g protein, 12.4 g fat, 75 g total carbs (50.4 g sugar), 9.9 g fibre, 14 mg sodium
Read the full article in your August issue of Fit Life.