The minted beetroot barley dish is a different, more healthier approach to anything that you have ever tasted.
|1 cup coarse salt||2 cups water|
|2 whole beetroots||Salt and pepper, to taste|
|2 tbsp fresh mint||1 cup peas, steamed|
|2 cups barley||½ cup feta, crumbed|
TIP: The pigment in beetroot contains betanin. Betanin is an anti-inflammatory, antioxidant and a detoxifying agent in the body. Some studies indicate that betanin may lower the risk of developing certain cancers, such as breast cancer, and are good for your health in general.
1. Preheat your oven to 180°C.
2. Line a baking tray with coarse salt and place beetroot over. Cover with foil, bake for 20 minutes or until soft.
3. Puree cooked beetroot with mint.
4. Toast the barley in the oven for 10 minutes.
5. Cook the barley in 2 cups of cold, salted water. Once the water has evaporated, turn off the heat and add the beetroot puree.
6. Spoon the beetroot barley into a plate. Sprinkle the peas and crumbed feta over the dish. Garnish with salt, pepper and micro herbs.