Blooming good dishes to welcome the warmer months.
GRILLED RED CABBAGE WITH PURPLE PANSIES AND WALNUT GREMOLATA
|For the grilled red cabbage|
|3 tsp olive oil|
|1 tsp garlic powder|
|6 mini red cabbages, quartered|
|For the pansy gremolata|
|5 tbsp olive oil||1 clove garlic, grated|
|Walnuts, toasted and roughly chopped||Handful purple pansies, plus extra to serve|
|1 lemon, zested and juiced|
|Handful parsley, roughly chopped|
For the grilled cabbage
1. Drizzle olive oil and garlic powder on cabbage.
2.Fry on hot griddle pan for 8 minutes until charred on each side.
For the gremolata
1. Mix all ingredients together.
2. To serve, spoon gremolata on to the cabbages and scatter with pansies.
863 kJ energy, 2.6 g protein, 16 g fat, 9.3 g total carbs (8 g sugar), 4.8 g fibre, 28 mg sodium
STRAWBERRY & ROSE YOGHURT CAKE
|1 1/2 cups wholewheat flour||Strawberries, halved|
|1/4 cup brown sugar||Honey|
|2 tsp baking powder|
|3 large eggs|
|1 1/2 cups low-fat yoghurt|
|1 tsp vanilla essence|
|1 tsp rose water|
|1/4 cup olive oil|
1. Preheat oven to 180°C and line or grease a 20 cm round cake tin.
2. Mix flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl.
3. Whisk eggs, yoghurt, vanilla essence and rose water in a bowl until smooth. Fold into dry ingredients until combined.
4. Fold the olive oil into the batter, then pour into the cake tin.
5. Bake for 45 minutes. Transfer cake on to a cooling rack to cool completely.
6. To serve, mix a few drops of rose water into yoghurt and dollop on to the cake. Top with strawberries and drizzle with honey.
514 kJ energy, 12.2 g protein, 14.1 g fat, 40.2 g total carbs (8.2 g sugar), 6 g fibre, 150.3 mg sodium
BEETROOT HUMMUS CROSTINI
|7 yellow beetroot, peeled and quartered||To serve|
|6 tbsp olive oil||1 baguette|
|1/2 tsp cumin||1 yellow beetroot, thinly sliced and roasted|
|1/4 tsp cardamom|
|1 tsp garlic powder|
|1/2 tsp salt|
|2 cans chickpeas, 1 cup brine reserved|
|1 lemon, juiced and zested|
1. Preheat oven to 180°C.
2. Toss the beetroot in half the olive oil, cumin, cardamom and garlic. Bake for 30 minutes.
3. Blend the baked beetroot and the rest of the ingredients until smooth.
1. Slice baguette in rounds and toast in the oven.
2. Dollop hummus on the crostini and garnish with slices of roasted beetroot.
1 542 kJ energy, 8.1 g protein, 14.2 g fat, 46.4 g total carbs (8.8 g sugar), 12 g fibre, 658.8 mg sodium
|1 1/4 cups water|
|1/4 cup honey|
1. Using a potato peeler, zest half of the lemons.
2. Grate the rest of the lemons for a finer zest.
3. Bring the water, honey, salt and lemon zest to a boil.
4. Strain the lemon-infused mixture and keep the lemon peels.
5. Slice into thin strips to use as garnish.
6. Pour the syrup into a shallow freezer-friendly container and place in the fridge to cool completely.
7. Juice the lemons, making sure to strain out any pips or pulp.
8. Add the lemon juice to the cooled syrup and stir well.
9. Place the container in the freezer for about 2 hours, then give the granita a good stir with a fork to break up the icy bits.
10. Return to the freezer and repeat the process again after 1 hour.
11. Allow the granita to freeze for another 5 hours, remove it from the freezer and finish off with a last fluff with a fork.
12. To serve, scoop into glasses and garnish with lemon zest.
593 kJ energy, 2.3 g protein, 0.5 g fat, 22.8 g total carbs (11.3 g sugar), 8.8 g fibre, 70 mg sodium
For more content, grab your September issue of Balanced Life.