This winter, take your bowl of soup to the next level with our delightfully nutritious, and deliciously satisfying, soup recipes and toppers
WINTER WARMER: CARROT + GINGER SOUP
Prep: 20 min
Cook: 1 hr 15 min
1 tbsp coconut oil
3 garlic cloves, chopped
10 carrots, chopped
2 tbsp grated ginger
4 cups vegetable stock
cup coconut milk
1 tbsp lime juice
tsp ground coriander
tsp ground turmeric
cup fresh coriander
1 tbsp toasted black sesame seeds
4 tbsp plain yoghurt
1. Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onions and fry until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, carrots and ginger and fry for another minute.
2. Pour the stock into the pot and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 20–25 minutes or until carrots are tender.
3. Remove from the heat and cool slightly before blending in a food processor until smooth. Stir in the coconut milk, lime juice, coriander and turmeric. Season to taste.
4. Top with coriander, coconut flakes, sesame seeds and a spoon of yoghurt and serve with sweet-potato bread on the side.
EAT IT WITH: SWEET-POTATO BREAD
2 sweet potatoes, chopped and roasted
1 onion, quartered and roasted
1 cups wholewheat flour
2 tsp baking powder
tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tbsp milk
3 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp fresh or dried
cup pumpkin seeds
1. Preheat oven to 200°C and line a loaf tin.
2. Blend sweet potato and onion with 2 tbsp water until smooth.
3. Sift flour, salt and baking powder.
4. In a separate bowl, dissolve baking soda in milk, then whisk in olive oil and eggs.
5. Stir the egg mixture into the blended potato. Add this to the flour mixture and stir until combined.
6. Add the rosemary and half the pumpkin seeds and mix again.
7. Spoon into the prepared loaf tin, top with remaining pumpkin seeds and bake for 45–50 minutes or until cooked through.
THE BIG CHEESE: BROCCOLI + FETA SOUP
Prep: 20 min
Cook: 25 min
2 tbsp oil
1 onion, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
2 garlic cloves, grated
5 cups chicken stock
1 bay leaf
2 tbsp cornflour
2 tbsp water
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tin evaporated milk
cup grated Cheddar
crumbled, plus extra
tsp ground nutmeg
tsp cayenne pepper
1. In a pot, heat the oil over medium heat. Fry onions and carrots for 5 minutes. Add the garlic and fry for 1 minute.
2. Add chicken stock and bay leaf and bring to the boil.
3. Mix cornflour and water to form a paste. Add to the stock and stir until it starts to thicken.
4. Add broccoli pieces and Worcestershire sauce, reduce the heat and simmer for 5–7 minutes.
5. Add evaporated milk and warm through.
6. Remove from the heat and stir in the cheeses, nutmeg and pepper. Season to taste.
7. Pour soup into bowls and top with extra feta and black pepper.
EAT IT WITH: TORTILLA WEDGES
4 tortillas, cut
2 tsp olive oil
1 tsp sea salt
1 tbsp sesame seeds
1. Preheat oven to 200°C.
2. Brush tortillas with oil. Sprinkle with salt and sesame seeds.
3. Bake for 5 min or until golden and crispy.
Subscribe to Fitlife, for more winter warming soup recipes.